As we age, oral health problems become more common due to a weakening immune system in the body. Did you know our oral health is closely linked to our overall health and well-being? Oral disease can be linked to other conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, stroke and Alzheimer’s. It’s essential that you look after the health of your teeth as you grow older. This can help you to avoid costly dental treatments and painful oral health concerns in the future.
At Dakabin Dental, we understand the importance of oral health at any age. As such, we want to provide some tips on how to take care of your oral health as you get older. As experts in cosmetic dentistry and smile makeovers, we want to share the ways you can prevent the need for cosmetic dentistry for years to come.
How Aging Affects Your Oral Health
- As you age, saliva production in the mouth decreases resulting in a dry mouth. This can increase your risk for oral health problems such as tooth decay and gum disease.
- Older individuals are more prone to losing their teeth due to periodontal disease or an untreated cavity. Additionally, age-related wear and tear of the teeth can also lead to tooth loss.
- Without proper oral care and regular dental check-ups, seniors may suffer from a condition called jaw bone loss. This condition can cause instability of the teeth and even difficulty chewing food.
The dentists at Dakabin Dental have in-depth knowledge and experience with oral health concerns that are the result of getting older. Our dentistry services include root canals, gum disease, tooth decay and fillings and dental implants to maintain the health of your teeth. All of which are services often needed by older patients who are prone to tooth loss, gum disease and wear and tear.
Tips for Taking Care of The Health of Your Teeth as You Age
1. Practice good oral hygiene habits. Brushing twice a day, flossing and using mouthwash are essential for keeping your teeth healthy no matter what your age is. If you have difficulty holding or using a toothbrush, talk to your dentist about other oral hygiene options. We also recommend not brushing your teeth so hard as you get older. Gums begin to recede naturally as we age and brushing too hard can speed the process up unnaturally.
2. Stay hydrated to prevent dry mouth. Saliva dilutes and washes away the acid build-up from food, beverages and bacteria throughout the day. If you don’t have enough saliva in your mouth the acid can lead to tooth decay.
3. Eat nutritious foods. Eating healthy and nutrient-rich food can help keep teeth strong and prevent cavities and gum disease caused by poor oral health habits.
Understanding the Benefits of Regular Check-ups with a Dentist As You Get Older
Regular dental check-ups are extremely important as you age to ensure oral health issues are caught and treated promptly. At Dakabin Dental, our dentists understand the oral health concerns of each patient and we make sure that each individual is given the best care possible.
We provide comprehensive dental exams for all patients so any oral health issues can be addressed properly and promptly.
Overall, proper oral care should not be taken lightly at any age. Taking steps to keep your teeth healthy will help preserve your smile for years to come. If you have any oral health concerns and live in Dakabin Queensland, book an appointment with us today we will be more than happy to assist you.
We look forward to hearing from you soon!